Math Atheist

Math Atheist

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

MATH-O

MATH-O!  That saying filled my classroom the other day.  It was awesome.

In my GPS Advanced Algebra class, we have been talking about Polynomial functions.  For this lesson, they had just learned transformations of a polynomial from its parent function the day before.  This activity was used as a review

I hate worksheets, and I avoid them when I can, so I came up with MATH-O.
MATH-O is like bingo...but better...because it has math.

Because I don't feel like filling in 50 different MATH-O boards for the students to use, I let them fill in their own.  I give them a blank board and the answers to the questions I will ask.  They can arrange them any way they like.  This also gets them practicing proper notation.

The board that I used is below.  Feel free to use it yourself!

MATH-O with Polynomial Transformations

The first page is the blank MATH-O board.
The second page has the answers that the students put into their board (one per box!!).
**I put both pages side-by-side on a single sheet for ease.
The third and fourth pages are the keys for calling out the problems.  You can either cut them into strips and pull them randomly, or you can choose them randomly (keep track with a highlighter or pen).  The questions to read to the students are on the right side.  The answers (the ones on their boards) are on the left side of the page.  You can use your key to check when I student gets MATH-O.

Don't stop with boring, straight across MATH-O.  Do the "X", the "Border", or the "Blackout".  The students don't think they are doing any math in class (which they TOTALLY are), and they are eager for more problems.  What teacher doesn't want that???

**Have a small prize for the students that get MATH-O.  The extrinsic motivation is very powerful.  Extra points also work.

Happy Transforming!

1 comment: