Math Atheist

Math Atheist

Monday, January 7, 2013

MATHpardy (A better version of the Merv Griffin classic)

Let me start by saying...

I HATE reviewing for tests.  I hate having to reteach/repeat the material that we have been going over for weeks.  The classic review worksheet doesn't do it for me, so I sought out a way to make my life easier and more fun.  Mathpardy helps me accomplish this.  I found a template online and adapted it to fit my needs.  I have used it a few times since I've found it, and I've had great success.

Every class is different, and the way you decide to run the game should be based on your classroom structure and individual students.  I split my 30 person classroom into 5 to 6 groups (hopefully, you can do the math on the number per group), and had them come up with group names. For each question, each group turns in a sheet of paper with their answer to the problem and their group name.  If the team gets the answer correct, they get the points.  You can do negative points if you so choose.  I use a creative way to determine who picks the question. (First to ________ gets to pick the problem).  I also limit their time based on the difficulty of the problem.  If the paper is not in my hand before the buzzer, they foreit.  The reason I like this method is the student engagement.  Playing Jeopardy the way it's intended leaves some groups out of the running for points.  Therefore, they don't attempt the problem.  This method makes every group work on every problem.

Of course, the winning team receives generous extra points on their test!

My juniors love this game.  No joke.

The verison I have attached is from an exponential unit.  It covers rules of exponents, converting between radical and exponential form, solving radicals, and simplifying radicals. 
Jeopardy Review Game - Exponents and Radicals
Again, you can edit the game for your needs and topics.

Happy Reviewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment